Temporomandibular Disorders (TMD) refer to several highly common clinical disorders that involve the masticatory muscles, the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) and the adjacent structures. TMD is one of the most frequent causes of orofacial pain & headache and is associated with basic functional limitations such as difficulties in chewing, talking and yawning. Additionally TMD patients tend to suffer from other disabling pain syndromes such as migraine, tension type HA and neck pain – therefore introducing a challenge to clinicians.
In this course, participants will learn an effective evidence informed assessment & practical management of people with TMD.
Aims & Learning Objectives :
After completing the course participant will be able to:
- Know the up to date scientific background of musculoskeletal pain & dysfunction in the Cranio-Mandibular region
- Recognize signs & symptoms of serious medical problems (not musculoskeletal) in people with Cranio-Mandibular pain ( i.e. red flags) and will know how to respond accordingly
- Practically know how to assess, evaluate & recognize common clinical patterns in people with TMD
- Practical use of the relevant clinical reasoning for management of people with TMD
- Effectively & safely treat people with TMD using hands on & exercise modalities